Tuesday, June 18, 2013

WAIT -- BUT DIDN'T MITT ROMNEY SAY...?

When I read about this quote, I actually thought some right-wingers might embrace it:
The New Yorker's Ryan Lizza has a (subscriber-only) long reported piece on the Senate immigration-reform negotiations, in which an aide to Marco Rubio strips bare the dynamic with a brutal frankness that I have never seen before in American politics:
"There are American workers who, for lack of a better term, can't cut it," a Rubio aide told me. "There shouldn't be a presumption that every American worker is a star performer. There are people who just can't get it, can't do it, don't want to do it. And so you can't obviously discuss that publicly."
Glenn Reynolds says that insulting American workers "is political poison." But how different is what this Rubio aide said from what Mitt Romney said at that fundraiser last year?
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what...These are people who pay no income tax.
What did Glenn Reynolds say about that?
WELL, YES: Tucker Carlson and Neil Patel: Romney must own '47 percent' argument 100 percent of the time....

Related: Howie Carr: "A huge percentage of Obama's voters are basically wards of the state. There are millions of them, and they have no intention of voting for anyone who might want them to ever go out and work for a living."...
Me, I don't see much difference between saying that 47 percent of people in this country are shiftless parasites and saying that certain American workers won't do backbreaking labor -- to me, what Romney said is more insulting than what the Rubio aide said. And yet the right embraced Romney's remarks, at least until their political impact became obvious.

But I guess the difference is that when Romney talked about that shiftless 47 percent, he never called them Americans. He referred to them as likely Obama voters. The right certainly doesn't regard those people as Americans.

4 comments:

Victor said...

What these feckin' dumbasses don't realize, is that there people like me, 55 years-old, who'd be more than happy to work.

WE WANT TO WORK!!!

I'm bored out of my feckin' skull, sitting around, reading blogs, and commenting all day - and then reading novels in the evening.

BUT NO ONE'S HIRING US OLDER-TIMERS!!!
Just like kid's coming out of college can't find jobs.

Everyone wants to be productive.
Even the worst piddly-ass job can make a person feel like they're contributing.

I hated my last job, telemarketing, with a white-hot passion.
It was by far, the worst job I ever had, and I've been working since I was 14, part-time - full-time after I graduated from college.
I HATED THAT F*CKING JOB - but I never took a day off (ok - once - but only because a tree fell in a snowstorm, and blocked my driveway), I was never late to work, never late from lunch.

And now, to add insult to injury, ever if companies ARE hiring, they sure as hell AIN'T paying!

These are not the results of policies by Liberals.
These are the seeds that Conservatism has been planting for over 40 years.

And, here we are - harvesting the bitter and sour fruits of their labor (can I still use that word, Conservatives?).

Bitter and sour, not-filling, no-nutritional value, fruits.

Fuck these Conservatives.
Fuck them up the ass with white-hot crowbars.

I'd gladly move to another country.
But who's going to take a handicapped 55 year-old?

Hell, I can't even get SSDI even though I can hardly walk - or sit comfortably for long.

As my last doctor told me, when he told me that if I was a construction worker, he'd ok SSDI. But that wasn't my work history - I was a CSR Trainer, and, "You can still talk."


So I said, "Great! Hire me to answer your phone!"

I still don't understand why he didn't immediately fire the shapely blond receptionist he had, and give me her job.
I'd have taken it.

These Conservatives live in La-la Land, where people just want to sit on their asses all day, and never get bored out of their skulls.

It if wasn't for the internet, and blogs, I'd be in an insane asylum - or, at least for a little while, before they didn't want to pay for keeping me, and released me, to beg for change under some overpass.

Fuck them!
FUCK THEM UP THE ASS WITH WHITE-HOT CROWBARS!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry about my anger.
But that's about all I have left...

Philo Vaihinger said...

Rubio is talking like an plute in a depression pretending to be an owner of a booming industry in a period of 2 or 3 percent unemployment, explaining we need to import labor because the domestic supply is down to the unemployables.

The reason for the pose is the desire to drive down wages even further by flooding the country with low end labor used to working for a pittance and willing to work, in the USA, for notably less than any American and be honestly grateful for the job.

So, what's the actual unemployment rate, now?

7.6 percent, right?

But instead of calling him out for this imposture I suppose it's better polemical strategy to attack him for what he did not do, for insulting the honor and dignity of American labor.

And for joining into the chorus of self-righteous rich dick Patrician class whose moral take is that the Populares buy votes by throwing crumbs to the Roman mob.

Professor Fate said...

"There are American workers who, for lack of a better term, can't cut it,"
and so many of them seem to be either in the House or the Senate.

Philo Vaihinger said...

Oh, wait.

Dems can't attack Rubio head on for what he actually did because what he actually did was make a lying plute defense of immigration.

Exposure of his deceitful pose focuses attention on strong premises for an argument against immigration that no one can fail to see as just that.

So instead Dems attack him for what he did not do.

He did not join the right wing chorus of whiners whose moral take is that the Democrats buy votes by throwing crumbs to the American mob.

Pretty big mob, too, given their estimate of 47% of the whole people.