Saturday, August 18, 2012

THIS IS NOT THE STUPIDEST OR MOST HATEFUL THING HANK WILLIAMS JR. HAS SAID ABOUT BARACK OBAMA

From a review of Hank Williams Jr.'s show at the Iowa State Fair on Friday night:
Following the song "We Don't Apologize For America" a chant of "USA, USA" broke out amongst the crowd. Williams smiled, telling the crowd that he was their mouth piece and adding:

"We've got a Muslim president who hates farming, hates the military, hates the US and we hate him!"

The cheers that followed were loud and enthusiastic.
By now I'm used to the rest of this crap, but "hates farming"? Seriously?

But this is just business as usual for Hank Jr. Most famously, in 2011 he said that President Obama playing golf with John Boehner was like "Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu." When ESPN decided it would no longer use his song "Are You Ready for Some Football?" as the theme song for Monday Night Football in the wake of that incident, Jr. implausibly insisted he made the decision to sever ties with ESPN, not the other way around.

He's been a hate-filled jerk for a while. As he was releasing Old School, New Rules, his new album, a couple of months ago, he discussed one of the new songs with a Rolling Stone interviewer:
On "Keep the Change," you sing, "I'll keep my freedom / I'll keep my guns / I'll keep my money / and my religion too … I will keep my Christian name and you all can keep the change." What did you mean by that?
Exactly what I said, cousin.

Yeah, but when you talk about your Christian name ...
You know, we've got a President that does a call to the Koran or Mecca or whatever. That's what I meant. That's exactly what I meant. I won't be changing my name to whatever. That's exactly what I meant.
What is he talking about? A call to the Koran? And who's asking anyone to undergo a name change? Next to this guy, Ted Nugent seems like a Burkean philosophe.

Elsewhere on the new album, there's the inevitable teleprompter reference. And of course, Jr. wrote an earlier tune called "If the South Would Have Won" (quoted below with Dave Zirin's gloss at the end):
"If the South would have won we would have it made. / I'd make my supreme court down in Texas / and we wouldn't have no killers getting off free / If they were proven guilty then they would swing quickly / instead of writing' books and smiling' on TV / We'd put Florida on the right track, 'cause we’d take Miami back." (From who? Jews? Cubans? Haitians? Or will Hank go for the trifecta?)
The Rolling Stone interview makes clear that Hank Jr. supports Mitt Romney reluctantly -- he did roboclls for Rick Santorum during the primaries and, according to Rolling Stone, likes teabag heroes Marco Rubio and Richard Mourdock a lot more than Mitt Romney. But I bet he'd be spew this crap at a Romney event if asked. Wonder how soon that'll happen.

10 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

Man he's awful. Talent & rationality certainly skipped a generation in the Williams clan.

BillyWitchDoctor said...

Animal cracker.

Victor said...

Well, Djoonyor should be really thankful he didn't say all these nasty things about America's President from another country, or everybody'd have Dixie Chick'd the poor bastard, amahrite?

What happens if you play a Hank Williams Djoonyor song backwards?

No one's ever listened all the way through to the end of any of his songs, so we may never know.



Tom Hilton said...

I'm gonna write my own song, called "If General Sherman Would Have Had Thermonuclear Weapons".

Victor said...

OT - I can see why the NY Jets got Tim Tebow:
Their Offensive Line couldn't stop a determined crippled nun.

So they needed a big Christian who can run, if their Quarterback's going to have a prayer of finishing the game.



GO JINTS!!!

Victor said...

OT:
The GOOD MoDo showed up in the NY Times this morning:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/opinion/sunday/dowd-beware-a-beautiful-calm.html?_r=2&hp

She slices-up Paul Ryan better than a Chef with Ginsu Knives in a 'roid rage!

I haven't seen her like this since W and Dick were darkening the towels in the White House bathrooms.

BH said...

If Hank Jr's daddy hadn't been Hank Sr, he'd have had to make his living selling insurance. Jr has been totally consistent in one respect at least: a massive absence of talent.

BH said...

And of COURSE he won't be "changing his name": that's all he's ever had to live on, for chrissakes.

Cthulhu said...

Y'know, more and more he's giving us proof that the best parts of him oozed out of his fractured skull.

Roger said...

Hank uses the "g" and an apostrophe?