Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Text Message Says Biden

Yeah, I know, the networks and Internets are all reporting it already. But I woke up around 4 a.m. this morning and there my cell was with a message from Barack. After hanging on to my cell since about Wednesday waiting for The Message, I can get back to my life, such as it is.

As I penned over two months ago, I think Biden was about the best Obama could have done. In addition to being ready to be president "on day one" and ready to take the "3.m. phone call", Biden brings a certain combatancy to the campaign, and that should be fun to watch. What has gone rather unremarked, however, is that Biden has been pretty strong over the years on civil liberties issues, the separation of church and state, and the like (He gave a great Jackson-Jefferson Day speech, in SC no less, ripping the GOP's religious-politicking mixing, that someone should dig up for reference). And unlike, say, Evan Bayh, I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about Biden being on the GOP convention speaking schedule in 2016, lamenting how he "didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic Party left" him.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I have to point out that David Brooks also "endorsed" Biden for the ticket this week. You know what that means. Any day now we should be reading a column from Brooksie charging Biden with everything from the Lindberg baby kidnapping to being responsible for the glut of "reality" TV programming desecrating the entertainment landscape.

No comments: